Rainwater harvesting is the capture and storage of rainwater for landscape irrigation, non-potable use and return of storm water to the aquifer. The benefits of using rainwater for your outdoor supply are:
- Reduction in your water bill and demand on the public water supply
- No restrictions on water use (i.e. watering restrictions don’t apply to rainwater).
- Reduces water entering the storm-water system which reduces environmental damage at outlets areas.
- Returns used and unused water to the groundwater supply
- Better for the environment.
You can calculate the volume of water you may need to store in tanks. Average rainfall for the region is about 1000 mm/year, with the majority coming from October to March. If you were collecting water from your roof you would calculate at follows:
Rainfall amt.(mm) x Rooftop area (m2) = Rain collected (litres)
Give Oakstead a call and Jon can come out to your property to assess the site conditions and house considerations, discuss your options, and help you with a plan that meets your needs.